Adopt a Dog is a non-profit dog rescue group that started in September 2010. Our organisation is driven by a passion for helping unwanted dogs who face certain death in the local pound. At Adopt a Dog we rescue dogs that are to be euthanised, provide them with veterinary care and foster them in our homes until a permanent, loving home is found.
1. Give dogs that are to be euthanized a second chance by placing them in loving forever homes.
2. Educate the community on dog awareness. How to care for, respect and improve the everyday life of dogs
3.Support de-sexing and registration of dogs.
4. Increase the number of adoptions from the pound. Bring community awareness to the pound by showing people that there are good loving mixed breeds and purebred dogs available at the pound.
5. To establish a Hawkes Bay lost and found dogs website for people to post ads on and to be used by the SPCA and the pound to help bring lost dogs back to their families.
6. Sponsor fundraising events to provide funds for the rescue work and for the community to take part in.
7. Bring people and dogs together to show that dog ownership can be rewarding and fun when done properly and respectfully.
Dogs are a man’s best friend, so let’s treat them with the love and respect they deserve!
A POEM TO MY FOSTER DOG
by Diane Morgan
I am the bridge
Between what was and what can be.
I am the pathway to a new life.
I am made of mush,
Because my heart melted when I saw you,
Matted and sore, limping, depressed,
Lonely, unwanted, afraid to love.
For one little time you are mine.
I will feed you with my own hand
I will love you with my whole heart
I will make you whole.
I am made of steel.
Because when the time comes,
When you are well, and sleek,
When your eyes shine,
And your tail wags with joy
Then comes the hard part.
I will let you go–not without a tear,
But without a regret.
For you are safe forever–
A new dog needs me now.